Are you able to multitask under pressure? Do you have excellent communication skills? Are you looking for a new and rewarding career?
We are proud to announce that we are currently recruiting in our Force Control Room based at Fulford Road in York for Communication Officers. There’s never been a better time to apply for such a fantastic opportunity as we are currently running a number of courses throughout 2020.
Our Force Control Room in York aims to provide the highest quality of service to customers by receiving 999 calls and non- emergency 101 calls, managing a wide range of incidents and where appropriate providing an emergency response.
Main duties & responsibilities:
- To receive telephone reports of 999 and/or Immediate grade incidents from members of the public and from other agencies
- To identify the information that must be gained from the caller and to ensure all necessary information is gained, in order to provide the best possible support to officers
- To assess the needs of the caller and to ensure they are provided with the support and reassurance necessary for the delivery of the highest possible quality of service
- To identify those circumstances where, due to the vulnerability of the caller, it is necessary to provide exceptions to the Call Screening policy
- To create records of reported incidents on the appropriate Control Room computer system(s) and to ensure those records are accurate and contain sufficient detail to enable the Controller (Dispatch) to deploy and support operational resources effectively and to enable effective analysis
- Utilise force IT system in a timely, accurate and appropriate manner to record Police Information in relation to reported crimes, domestic violence, Road Traffic Collisions, Missing from Homes, Court Warrants and other occurrences
- To manage updates in relation to investigations, prioritising workloads accordingly in relation to force priorities.
- To interrogate the geographic information system to assist with recording accurate addresses information.
This role requires the successful post holder to work in a pressurised environment whilst multi-tasking and delivering excellent customer service at all times.
The successful Post holder will have the following skills and attributes:
- You will have the ability to remain calm in a highly pressurised environment
- You will bring drive, passion and enthusiasm for delivering and outstanding service to your customers
- You will have the ability to think on your feet and confidently make quick decisions
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent typing and IT skills, with the ability to navigate multiple computer systems.
- Minimum typing skills should be 28 word per minute.
This is a fast paced rewarding career where no 2 days are the same. As a member of the team, you will be at the heart of policing in North Yorkshire and will find yourself dealing with incidents that most people will not come across in their lifetime.
Location: Force Control Room, Fulford Road, York
Salary: £18,951 - £21,342 (Scale 3 / 4.2). Plus shift allowance and weekend working allowance your gross earnings would be up to £28,692.
You will complete 10 weeks of training and will not be able to take any holidays during this time.
We have full time contracts only available, 24 hour or non 24 hour shift patterns which will consist of 4 days on and 4 days off.
This is a rare opportunity to join the Force Control Room team as a Communications Officer. Full training will be provided. If you are dedicated, willing to learn and thrive working in a fast paced, pressurised environment then please apply today!
Closing date for applications- Monday 2nd March 2020.
For more information please contact Elizabeth.firstname.lastname@example.org .
Dates for the diary:
Situational Strengths Test -
Once applications have closed you will be sent a link to complete a Situational Strengths Test and you will have until 11th March to complete this. The SST will provide you with insight into North Yorkshire Police, as well as asking you to respond to some questions. During the assessment, you will be presented with scenarios and asked to rank order a selection of responses.
Familiarisation event to find out more about the role –
The events will introduce you to life in the Force Control Room. This will be an opportunity to speak to existing staff, discuss shift patterns, look at training & development opportunities and ask any questions you may have. This event is very informative and will explain more details about the role including shift patterns and salary/allowances.
Monday 24th February 2020 at 7.30pm https://bit.ly/37xzHYW
Tuesday 25th February 2020 at 7.30pm https://bit.ly/2uJldI6
Wednesday 26th February at 10.00am https://bit.ly/2UZIsIC
Wednesday 26th February at 7.30pm https://bit.ly/3bLHkOI
Saturday 29th February 2020 at 9.00am https://bit.ly/2wpBF0v
Interviews w/c 30th March 2020
We are aiming for a start date of 8th June 2020 and 19th October 2020.
North Yorkshire Police are currently under-represented from black and minority ethnic backgrounds including Eastern European and Chinese communities, those with disability, women and from the LGBTQ+ communities. Therefore, we are very keen to encourage applications from these groups.
This opportunity is closed to applications.